Saturday, June 21, 2008

Why Do I Still Have This?

Next week I am moving in with Rob, so of course, that means amongst other things, packing. We have been spending some time going through obvious duplicates of stuff (anyone need a couch?) and trying to sell/get rid of them BEFORE moving.

I have a closet full of seasonal stuff that I barely open because, well, it's seasonal. I forgot that I also packed away boxes I knew I wouldn't open but wanted to keep. I have decided since I am moving in with another person, I shouldn't be a space hog. So I opened all those "wanted to keep boxes". Umm.. wow.

I have found lots of stuff. Sadly, only some of its what I would label "worth keeping" and now wonder what was I thinking when I packed it into the box to begin with. For instance, I found a meal ticket from a rifle competition I was in back in 1998. Seriously? I suppose at one time it meant something to me and until today, I haven't reevaluated it's sentimental value. I have shredded an entire trash bag worth of old records that mean absolutely nothing anymore. Bills from RIT? Yeah, they have been all condensed to monthly student loan payments.

I am not getting rid of everything . I am trying to keep what really means something to me, and letting go of graded papers from college and old parking passes for Anheuser-Busch. And now, back to packing.

No comments: