The holidays are over and the invitations are out, now that we have a little free time on our hands, we have been trying to get out and experience the CNY winter we have been having for the last 2 months. There's a lot to do if you don't mind being bundled up and playing in the snow.
Last weekend we were lucky enough to get out and snowshoe around Beaver Lake Nature Center which I haven't done in forever. Thankfully it's a skill that comes pretty naturally, however I would say, running in snowshoes is not a wise choice. We spent a few hours with Josh and Anne trudging around the lake and enjoying hot cider after. Fresh air does wonders for the body. Even if it's 30 degree fresh air. :)
This weekend we actually got out to the slopes at Labrador Mountain for the first time this season. Skiing here is a LOT different than the last few places we have skied. For one, we didn't need to take an air plane or sit in the car for 9+ hours. The other was the fact that it was a one day trip, not 3 or 4. This meant that when the legs started to feel it, we would call it a day and go home. When you are in Colorado, you suck up that pain and enjoy the wonderful skiing experience that is the West and have fun. You can regain feeling in your legs later. :P
We managed to stay upright most of the day and had a pretty good time. We started on the "bunny" hill and migrated over to the 3 person chair lift after a few runs. Even though it recently got pretty warm around here, the skiing was still pretty good. It's not powder, but it's not a sheet of ice and it's not granulated slushie mix either so not prime conditions, but definitely ski-able.
I actually learned to ski on this very hill on a learn to ski day in high school. I think I went about 3 times in high school and then maybe once or twice in college. The most skiing I ever did was the years I lived in DC with the trips in CO and up to PA. I really enjoy it, but it costs $$ for the lift ticket and I can never justify a season pass because too many other things are always going on. Maybe next year it what I always tell myself and this year is no different. :)
If we get really ambitious, to continue our outdoor experiences in CNY, we might hit up the Clinton Square Outdoor Ice Skating Rink next weekend. It's going to be one of our last "free" weekends until after the wedding. That's ok with us because it means we will be partying and carrying on in the meantime!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment