The making of Twiglet's nursery has been a bit of a journey. We already had the room picked that we would convert when the time came, so that part was already determined. The hard part was waiting until we found out what we were having and THEN getting together a game plan. I think it's very easy to just do what everyone else is doing, order a room in a bag, and call it a day. Unfortunately this is not how I work. For one, it costs too much to do it that way and for another, it lacks personality and creativity (for me).
In keeping with the "theme" of the rest of our house, we decided to kind of do a coastal/sea theme. I didn't want 100% under the sea because I didn't like that, but I did want sea turtles and whales to be a part of the room. We settled on painting the room a shade of blue that's in a lot of the rest of the house and adding some stripes. That was the starting point I had and then things kind of came together one piece at a time. We knew what we were going to use for the dresser (my old craft dresser which was a kids dresser that was being put to the dumpster by a stupid rich lady years ago, so I stole it and have been using it ever since). We just needed to repaint it and find some knobs for it. I had never bothered putting knobs on the entire time I was using it, but I thought it might be nice to get some now. :) Etsy turned out to be extremely useful for that project. There was also a kitchen cart I had from IKEA that it nice and open and would be perfect for a changing station, so that was also taken care of. My parents had decided they want to buy the crib, so that was a huge purchase off our minds. Rob's parents purchased the glider and so all the major pieces of furniture were covered. My sister surprised me with hand drawn pictures of sea creatures to hang on the walls. Absolutely love them! The letters were paper mache` ones from the craft store we painted to match the room. The starfish idea came later in the process. And all of the fabric was purchased from fabric.com (using coupon codes of course). For roughly $250 we trans formed the room into a cute baby boy's nursery.
So here's what we started with:
And this was the progress that was made along the way:
 |
| Gallon of Behr paint - $34 |
 |
| Accent paint - Had dark blue, $17 for quart of the green (Behr) |
 |
| Re-purposed dresser getting a new coat of paint |
 |
| Art work from my sister - free, Frames - $8 each with coupons from Michaels |
 |
| Bed skirt fabric -
$16 (2 yards, have fabric leftover from this to use for quilts later) |
And here is the finished product:
 |
| Starfish - $3 each with coupons from Michaels, picture hanger backs were hot glued onto the back to hang them in the wall. |
 |
| Book Sling fabric - Turtles Green/Blue ($12 for 1.5 yards, way more than was needed, saving extra for quilting project), Curtain hardware - $4.50 (used coupon), dowel rods - $3 |
 |
| Paper Mache` letters - $2 each |
 |
| Knobs from Etsy $22 |
 |
| Lamps - free from Rob's parents, new lamp shade ($10) and socket ($4) |
 |
| Mortimer!! |
Now all we have left to do is add Twiglet and we will be complete!
No comments:
Post a Comment