It's probably no surprise to anyone, but our son joined our family back in April and has been pretty much the center of our lives since. His arrival was pretty textbook, although I wasn't expecting to have a relatively short labor (12 hours from first pain to delivery) the way I have heard many of my friends talk so I was shocked when after 5 hours of labor I was already 6-7cm which I had labored through at home. We got to the hospital in the middle of the night at the next morning, out he came!
The hospital stay was nice and all the doctors and nurses we saw were great. Definitely a positive experience and the food wasn't half bad either! Before we knew it we were home with him and trying to figure out how to be parents for the first time. Believe it or not, while they don't come with an instruction book, instincts kick in from somewhere and help guide you. That and there are only so many things that can be troubling them at such a young age. Diaper wet? Fed? Tired? Gassy? That pretty much covers 90% of all problems.
He has been a good baby and has slept at night from the start and has been pretty content. I am not going to lie though, there were a few periods in there where I thought he was a colicky baby and I was going to loose my mind. However it turns out he really didn't like me eating dairy, so I cut that out of the diet pretty much all the way (how I miss ice cream). It has since helped a lot. Of course, mom lost her mind and ate some broccoli the other day and was reminded in short order that that's not appreciated either. The growth spurts at 2 weeks and around 6 weeks were the hardest, but we got through them. Now we are in the "easy" zone for a few months before he starts teething.
While I would love to be home forever with him, we have bills to pay and I need two way conversations that don't involve poop. Day care started a few weeks ago and he seems to be adjusting to that well. We got him trained to take a bottle a while ago and that helped immensely. The ladies at day care have been great and have been loving on him a lot. He seems pretty happy when he gets home and that makes for happy parents.
The question people want to know the answer to most - Are you getting any sleep? The answer is yes, but (there's always a but) it's nothing like the sleep you get before you have a baby. So while yes in fact he does sleep for 4-5 hours (sometimes 6 if we are super lucky) at a time, you still have to wake from a dead sleep to get up, wake up enough to feed him, and then get yourself back to sleep. It's not always as easy as it sounds. Now that he is sleeping in his crib it's a bit easier because I don't lie awake listening to him until I know he is totally passed out again. I have also gotten to know when he will and won't be happy when I put him back in his crib. Like I said, it's a learning process and he is a good teacher.
So with that, I will share a few of my favorite photos for now and tell you all to just stay tuned as we go through this new (and very long) chapter in our lives about parenting. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment