My mother-in-law visited for her birthday so she could spend the weekend with her favorite little person, her grandson. To celebrate her birthday I told her I would make her any kind of dessert she wanted, so long as I didn't have to set it on fire. She replied, "something chocolate". So I thought for a short while and said "OH I KNOW!"
So I made her this:
Molten Chocolate Cakes!
They are the most decadent dessert I know how to make. And lucky for you, you'll know know how to make them too! The only "special" equipment you'll need are ramekins and a double boiler (which you can improvise if need be - I do). If you don't have ramekins, the best deal I have found on them is at Pier 1 Imports of all places. For a double boiler, you can use a regular pot filled with a couple of inches of water and setting a glass or metal (my preference) bowl on top of the water. It'll do the same thing without add another pot to you cabinets.
Active Time: 15 minutes Total: 30-35 minutes
6 servings
2 sticks unsalted butter plus more for ramekins
1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cake flour, plus more for dusting (I have used regular flour, so don't sweat buying special flour for such a small amount)
1/2 bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I used Ghirardelli - 70% Cocoa, usually found in the baking aisle)
1/2 cup sugar
4 large whole eggs
4 large egg yolks
Unsweetened cocoa and confectioners sugar, for dusting (to make it "pretty")
*Not listed as an ingredient, but you should definitely get vanilla ice cream to have with it
1. Preheat oven to 350*. Butter six 4-ounce ramekin dishes and dust with flour. This step is ubber important, make sure they are well buttered, it's how they pop out smoothly.
2. In the top on the double boiler, melt the butter and chocolate together. Remove from heat and whisk in the sugar, whole eggs, and egg yolks. Whisk in the flour.
3. Scrape the batter into the 6 ramekins, and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the sides of the cake are set, but the center is still slightly loose. Let the cakes cool for 1-2 minutes and then run and spatula around the top part of them to loosen if necessary from the ramekin. Then invert them onto plates. Dust with cocoa powder and confectioners sugar and serve.
You can make these earlier in the day and park them in the fridge until you are ready to make them. Just take them out for about 20-30 minutes before hand to get them to room temp. If you want to put them in straight from the fridge, you'll need to extend the baking time accordingly.
Enjoy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment