It's been a long long time since I have lived in any one place to be really "settled" in. In fact, now that I think about it, the last time I was in one place this long I was in high school. Wow. I guess that enhances the reason of why I am so excited about my garden project. It's been forever since it was even a possibility!
My father is a farmer. He grew up on a dairy farm and has basically had a farm, tractors, land to play on most of his adult life. I know how delicious food from a garden can be and have wanted to have a mini garden of my own for a long time. Even growing herbs seems to be a challenge around here with cats. This year I decided to get serious about it and figure out what I wanted to plant and how. I called my dad and said, "I have room on my deck that gets good sun, what can I grow?" The answer was apparently a lot.
This is my year of experiments. I plan to take notes on what grows well, what doesn't have a hope and a prayer for making it on the deck, and how much of any one thing I really need. I went to the garden supply store in March and purchased starter soil, containers, and seeds. A lot of them. I think the whole thing came to about $50? I figured there's something to that 'strength in numbers' philosophy, so I planted a bunch of them. Probably more than was necessary, but that whole survival rate can be tricky. There were a few things that had a terrible success rate; oregano - zero, catnip - one plant made a come back, dianthus and carnations are running at about 2 plants each.
Most people think I am nuts that I am growing everything from seeds. Apparently, getting starter tomato plants is the preferred method. What do I know? Seeds were $1.69/pack with the potential for 24 plants. I had time and space, so give it a whirl. If it does work out, I am out $5 for the containers, dirt and seeds. I am ok with that investment risk. So far about half have made it and of those, I am not sure which are going to thrive in the transplanting process. I tell myself the solution will be to just buy the starter plants everyone else buys and call it a day. :)
So what did I decide to grow? I am so glad you asked! Here's what's growing so far:
Heritage Tomatoes
Roma Tomatoes
Peppers
Jalapeno Peppers
Romaine Lettuce
Butter crunch lettuce
Spinach
Radishes
Green Beans
Peas
Green Onions
Parsley
Basil (also sad growth rate, but I have 3 tiny plants)
The radishes and peppers are doing very well, the tomatoes had a lot of struggling seedlings, but they are in the zone where they may make it. I am planning on also planting a hill of cucumbers for giggles. I am probably most excited about the lettuces because we do eat so much of them. It would be wonderful to have a good crop to save some money there. I am planting waves of those to have them available all summer/fall long.
So, the ultimate question - Will it Grow? should be answered over the summer. I'll keep you posted!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment