Well mostly here anyway. The actual car drive here was not bad. The cats were drugged and happy or at least too buzzed to care at any rate. We unloaded the cars and even had help from family bringing up house plants and clothes for the next few days. They were also armed with an air mattress and a bottle of champagne to welcome us home. Hooray! We made it!
Fast forward a week and a half and you might think we are getting quite settled in and unpacking. Well that's where thinking gets you. Our stuff is still MIA. Our original window was the 3rd-13th of July for delivery. When we called last Wednesday (the 8th) to ask where our stuff was we found ourselves on the end of a very disturbing conversation. Well Rob did anyway, I was driving to NJ for a business trip. It went something like this:
Rob: Hi I am trying to get a status update on where our stuff is and when it will get here.
Mover Person 1: Oh, you want to talk to MOVER LADY, we only packed your stuff, they are coordinating the move.
Rob: Oh ok, thanks.
New phone call to MOVER LADY:
ROB: Hi mover people. So I was told stuff should show up between the 3rd and the 13th. Can you be any more specific now that it's the 8th?
MOVER LADY: Oh, do you have a destination for us yet?
ROB: [a bit confused]: Um, yes, we wrote it down on every piece of paper the movers asked us to sign. Also we've been telling you for weeks.
MOVER LADY: Oh, well, can you tell us again? I didn't know and it never occurred to me that I should actually ask you for that crucial piece of information. I somehow assumed you would anticipate my failure to talk to anyone else or to even make any attempts to "coordinate" this "move". I'm only the "Move Coordinator" after all.
ROB: Well that was a surprisingly frank yet oblivious admission of incompetence.
MOVER LADY: I try. Oh, and good news, your stuff is leaving Atlanta today!
ROB: It's been a week and a day since you loaded it on the truck
MOVER LADY: I *know*! Aren't we swift? It usually takes three to four weeks to make these shipments and you may be getting it as soon as two weeks after you left!!! I think it's the new feed they're giving the mules.
ROB: So we aren't getting our stuff in the 3rd-13th window then?
MOVER LADY: Goodness no. Since it's leaving Georgia today it will probably be another 4 to 10 days before it arrives.
ROB: So the original "last possible day" is now (roughly) our "earliest possible day"?
MOVER LADY: Yes. No. I don't know. I'm not so good at math.
ROB: Did you used to work for Comcast?
So needless to say, we have no idea where our stuff is. I called CARTUS, the super coordinator of all of this that hired MOVER LADY and company to express my frustration. Today I was supposed to be called by 4pm by the van line which did not happen so I called CARTUS back and they are doing whatever they do. At this point, I don't care when it gets here, well I do, but I just want to know what date to expect it. Right now it has been, "should be tomorrow", for a week and a half because no one told us what was going on. If I knew two weeks ago it wouldn't get here until 7/15, I would have been fine with that, but it's been like hanging a carrot in front of a mule. Just a little more....
We will have a party when our stuff gets here. Until then, here's to camp chairs, card tables, the laptop (aka entertainment center), and the air mattress.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment