Monday, January 10, 2011

Dabbling in the Creative Arts

This past month, my sewing machine has seen more action than it has in a long time.  I think I got fairly creative with some of the gifts this year, plus I made what we wanted for decorations around the house.  I had a great time making everything and it made me realize two things.  One - I really need a craft room in our future house and two - I wonder if I could sell anything I make.

My friend sent my this link a while ago about creative craft room inspirations.  I nearly passed out looking at them.  How I would love to have space where I could spread all this stuff out. My favorite of these spaces is the first one on the page where everything is white and bright and roomy!  I think a lot of these craft rooms look more like craft closets and while best to make use of spaces otherwise not utilized, you still need room to work.




Granted, the first place we buy probably won't have big sunny windows for me to work under, but if I keep it in the back of my mind, it can't hurt.  :)  So without a fancy dedicated room, I take over the dining room table on a frequent basis.  It works, but is far from ideal.  Even so it's better than nothing.

The second part of this post is supposed to be about if I can sell anything in a place like Etsy or not.  I haven't looked into many details on how much it would cost to set up a site and if I am responsible for all the taxes I would owe on the millions of dollars in sales I will generate.  Details, details.  I have a couple of ideas for things to post for sale on there, but I have to work out how much time it will take and a tentative cost on materials.  Mostly I would be revolving around kitchen/dinning room items like napkin holders, table runners, place mats, and oven pads to start.  Granted I know how to make about half of those, but the idea is still being worked out.  If anything comes of it, I will be sure to let you know.

1 comment:

LaTisha said...

Ha!!! Sarah, no kidding, every single time I see other pictures of craft rooms I think of you ::Scouts honor:: You have so much talent, it's amazing! I think you should look into some of this stuff. :)