I don't have a whole lot of memories of my grandmother since she passed away when I was around 9 years old. I remember playing Old Maid with her, the sewing nook where I sewed my first ever pocket on white with blue polka dot fabric, and the couch that was in the living room. I also remember her trying to get me to eat squash one Thanksgiving. That didn't go over so well. :P A lot of silly memories, but fond ones.
A couple of years ago, my sister gave me a recipe from my grandmother which she calls Grandma's Chicken & Rice. I scanned the ingredients list and said, hey, I like all of this stuff, so it was rapidly tested out. It's quite a great recipe that allows you minimal up front effort with great results. About half way through baking this the first time I said, "This smells like Grandma's house!" I closed my eyes and it was like I was a little kid again.
From what my sister tells me, Grandma was one cool lady which I am sad I never got to really know. We will have our chance to catch up in another life I am sure. Unfortunately, I only have a few small trinkets of hers to remember her by, but I treasure them. This recipe is one of the few I have, but it's so tasty, I wanted to share it with you. And hey, maybe your house will smell like Grandma's too. :)
Grandma's Chicken & Rice
4 chicken thighs (boneless, skinless) I usually just do the whole package from Wegmans cause they are smaller - can use breast meat, but it dries out some
2 carrots peeled and sliced about 1/2 inch cube
1 stalk celery sliced about 1/2 inch cube
1 glove garlic minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 small onion diced
1 small can button mushrooms - drained
1 14oz can of chicken broth (low sodium & fat free)
2 tsp chicken base (Better Than Bouillon - less sodium)
1 cup dry white rice OR long cooking rice (perfect use for rice that take 45 min - an hour to cook)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
sprinkling of paprika
If you can't find boneless skinless chicken thighs, just remove skin and leave the bone in, it will add flavor. Or leave the skin on and pan fry chicken for 10-12 minutes, skin side down first, then follow directions below. And of course if you if you leave skin on and bone in, it adds even more flavor - not as healthy for you, but anything that tastes really good never is. :)
Spray a 2.5 quart casserole dish (9x13 pan) with pam. In bottom add carrots, celery, onions, and button mushrooms. Sprinkle with half the salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, and garlic or garlic powder.
Pour dry rice over vegetables, pour in can of broth. Place chicken on top of rice & Sprinkle on other half of seasonings on the chicken & sprinkle with paprika for a little zippy color.
Cover and bake 425* for approximately 1 to 1 1/4 hours, once liquid is evaporated it's done.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment