Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Zucchinifest

A guy from work was handing out squash and zucchini from his garden this week.  He had massive zucchini and was begging people to help him eat them before they overran his garden.  I decided, what the heck, I am sure I can find something to do with it.  *grabs gianormous zucchini* 

This thing was huge!  As I was carrying it around the hallways of work (as most people would normally do), a lady offered up a recipe to help me use some of the zucchini.  She pointed me to the Pillsbury website for this recipe Italian Zucchini Crescent Pie.  It looked yummy and so I figured I would give it a shot.
 The zucchini is actually bigger than the cutting board.  Four cups equaled just about half of this beast. 
I meant to take a picture of this right when it came out of the oven, but I was apparently hungry and so, too bad so sad, you get a half eaten pie photo.  Bottom line: this was yummy!  Rob doesn't really like zucchini all that much and he even liked it.

As dinner was cooking and the half used zucchini was staring me down, I said, hmm, I bet I can make zucchini bread!  So I started shredding another 2 cups of zucchini and whipped up a batch to toss in the oven.  It makes two loaves, so I will take one to work.  I have never made this before and have never actually eaten anyone's version of this.  Should be interesting!

Zucchini Bread
1 cup oil
1 cup sugar
3 eggs, well beaten
2 cups shredded zucchini
1 t vanilla
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1 t nutmeg
3 cups flour
1 cup nuts (walnuts)

Blend together oil and sugar, add eggs.  Stir in zucchini, then add the vanilla.  Mix the dry ingredients together and then slowly add to the zucchini mixture.  Then add the nuts(we didn't have any, so I left them out).  Bake at 350* for one hour.
I still have another 2 cups of zucchini left to use.  If I had more eggs and more bread loaf pans, I might make another double batch of bread and just give it away. 

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

Another great recipe is Zucchini Pancakes with sour cream.

Colleen said...

We love to slice it (lengthwise) and grill it, then drown it in balsamic vinegar. Unfortunately, the stink bugs annihilated our zucchini plants this year. We got one little one before the plants were toast.