Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Freezer Meal Review

This is a review of one of the 4 freezer meals I used from the internet via Pinterest.  The original post can be found here.  The meal we made a few weeks ago was the Creamy Farmhouse Chicken and Garden Soup.  To be honest, I had high hopes for this meal, but it failed on multiple levels.  So bad in fact two nights of leftovers in, I just threw out the rest because I just couldn't bring myself to eat anymore and I NEVER do that.  So what went wrong?

First, I think the title is misleading.  This was not creamy in any way.  Maybe I have different standards or my crockpot just keeps things really moist, but it was more watery which was my first issue with it.  My second issue was I had completely forgotten that I had to put in 2 bone-in chicken thighs.  So there were surprise bones.  The time lapse between preparing the freezer meal and actually eating it was maybe 2 months tops, so it wasn't like it was ancient history.  So I had to pick through a very messy assortment of vegetables to find all the pieces which basically fall apart when cooked in the crockpot.  The third thing was this meal had an odd flavor to me and by odd flavor I mean in terms of spices.  This seems weird to me because I like all the ones it calls for, it just didn't hit my taste buds right.  The overall presentation of the meal left something to be desired too.  There were a lot of floating bits of chicken like when you boil a chicken breast so that was not too appealing.  It was more or less a glorified chicken noodle soup.  If I am going to put that much effort in, I would rather have something tastier.

So, this concludes my reviews from all the freezer meals from that blog post.  I think the ratings are as follows:
Pork and Veggies - Probably would be better with the modifications I made, but probably won't do that one again.
Chicken Tikka Masala - Delicious, just makes a ton.  Definitely redo.
Creamy Farmhouse Chicken and Garden Soup - Clearly a no.
Beef Burritos - Came out well, may redo.  We don't eat too much beef and have a recipe for chicken taco meat that's a bit easier. (6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, 1 jar of salsa, and a packet of taco seasoning mix, place in crockpot on low for 6-8 hours, shred chicken with fork)

If people wanted meals to try I would definitely suggest the Chicken Tikka Masala and the  Beef Burritos (or chicken tacos).  I am still waiting to see how my creations came out.  One should be in rotation this week, but with me feeling kind of under the weather, our meal plans went out the window last night.  Such a fine balance between having leftovers when you need them and time to make a meal when you have to.     

Happy cooking!     

No comments: