Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A New Place To Call Home... Sort Of

I was going to write a blog a few weeks ago entitled, "Indecision 2009" because of all the things that were in the air about my future. The good news is now some of those puzzle pieces have found their way of coming together. Funny how life works out.

This July I had intended on moving to another business unit and out of Georgia. Georgia's been an experience, but it's taking a toll on us and we are too far from everyone. My two requirements I had were 1 - to be north (preferably VA and up) and 2 - doing something other than Aeronautics. I started my efforts to secure a location back in December to seek out my options. I emailed people, talked to them, networked with other OLDP's, and researched a lot about the sites. While all well and good, it became a smattering of dead ends, incorrect information, and countless disappointing emails. Needless to say I was pretty frustrated and annoyed. After much search, I did however find a location that fit the only two requirements I had made for myself The only thing was it was not my first, second, or even third choice. Syracuse was wide open and eager to offer me any spot that was open (about 6) my choice. After much deliberation, I accepted the offer and I am set to start in mid-July.

For those that don't know, Syracuse is 15 minutes from my hometown. This is one of the reasons why it was not the first, second, or even third choice on my list. For one, parental proximity is at dangerous levels. There's close and there's too close. Especially with a wedding being planned. Speaking of which, we will also be slightly farther from the Outer Banks (about an hour) than we are now. I also wanted to be out and see the world and I felt like moving back home means I failed in some way.

But then I think about all the things I will be able to do and I forget about the negatives. Apple picking this fall in the orchard, going to see an SU football game, experiencing real fall weather, skiing, shoveling snow (I am sure that novelty will wear off soon), hanging out with my sister and eating all the yummy things from her kitchen, WEGMANS, being close to friends, going to alumni weekend at RIT, and much more.

When I stop and think about I think maybe fate had plans for me and anything else I tried was just not going to work. I think it will be a positive move in many ways and I am looking forward to it. So, I am homeward bound to Syracuse, NY this July for another chapter in my journey through this life.

2 comments:

Mike P said...

No, I think you had it right the first time. This move means you have failed as a human being.

Joyce said...

We are going to have so much fun planning the wedding together!!!