Monday, October 5, 2009

Dachau Concentration Camp

After we left Munich, we went to visit the Dachau Concentration Camp, the first concentration camp and model for all others. It was something that Rob and I felt was important to see. I don't know how exactly to describe the experience, but it was a very somber place of remembrance and history. They documented the rise of Hitler and the concentration camp evolution in great detail within their museum. Most things were in German and English so we could read along. We were able to watch the English documentary short film on the camp as well.

From Dachau Concentration Camp


I have a new appreciation for how the war turned out and what those people went through. We do not have those kinds of sites and therefore the ties to World War II as they do. We do not see the scars of bombs or the sites where such awful things took place. Reading about it in a book and being there really are two different things and really sheds a new perspective on things.

No comments: