Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Final Days

From Leutasch Valley, Austria

With two days left in our journey, the clouds rolled in and we all admitted we were pretty worn out. Not for nothing, but climbing a mountain probably contributed quite a bit. :) We went down for breakfast that morning and pondered our choices. We settled on popping into the nearby town of Seefield for some shopping followed by lunch and then came back for reading, town meandering and other such things.

From Leutasch Valley, Austria

I really enjoyed having a day to kind of relax even though we were hoping to go to Salzburg for a day. I have come to the conclusion that Europe has way to many cool places way to close to one another. Italy was only 2 hours away and the same with Switzerland. I wanted to see it all! But we recognized being popped and it raining wasn't really the time to go on another lengthy adventure so we hung around the pension and read and played cards and such.

From Leutasch Valley, Austria

I was enjoying watching the clouds. Normally you don't get to see how they hang in the mountains. You are usually in the thick of it or can't see the whole mountain to get the full picture.

From Leutasch Valley, Austria

This was our tiny road to our pension. Again, supposedly a 2 lane road, but not really. I have no idea what they do when the snow falls. The domed building is a tiny church. It had room for about 12 people. The Pennock's told us we should have just gotten married there. :P

From Leutasch Valley, Austria

At the pension we found a pretty good map of the area and where we hiked to. We hiked the red line that goes through the R in the upper left corner from Lehner. In fact, I think we got to the dot to the left of the R before you reach the I and then turned around. I think we figured we did about 10km. The Pennocks made it to the ridge where the red trail goes to a Y and then a little bit further from there.

From Leutasch Valley, Austria

We ended the night with happy hour and dinner on the porch. It was a little chilly, but still nice. Tomorrow we head to Munich for a night before hoping on the airplane back to the US.

From Leutasch Valley, Austria

No comments: