Tonight was my first adventure into Korean BBQ. I have been told by many people it's good, but always thought it was some bizarre branch of food I wasn't quite willing to try. Like pineapple, I think I seriously misjudged this food group.
The idea for this came from an agreement at the dinner table to use the grill more this week. I went in search of new recipes and found this one for Korean BBQ Bulgogi in an old issue of Cuisine at Home. It was a fairly straight forward recipe and I had a steak in the freezer so I was willing to give it a go.
Korean-style Bulgogi with ginger dipping sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
2 T. soy sauce
2 T. fresh minced ginger
1 T. minced garlic
2 t. toasted sesame oil
2 t. sambal
1 t. cornstartch
1 t. water
3/4 pound rib-eye steak cut into 1/4 inch strips
salt and pepper
toasted sesame seeds
sliced scallions
In a small pot, simmer the brown sugar and the next 6 ingredients until blended. In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water, then add to the sauce. Bring to a boil and then simmer for one minute. Set aside.
Turn your grill on high. Season the meat strips with salt and pepper and place them on the grill for 2 minutes for each side. Remove from grill and toss in 2 tablespoons of sauce. This helps the sesame seeds and scallions stick to them. Place strips onto two plates and divide the dipping sauce into two ramekins (or other small containers for dipping).
Sesame Rice Vermicelli
4 oz dry rice vermicelli
2 T. scallions, sliced thin
1 T. toasted sesame oil
1 T. toasted sesame seeds.
Prepare vermicelli according to package instructions and cool. Toss with remaining ingredients.
There are no leftovers from this recipe, it serves two well. The recipe said it was to take 25 minutes, but for a first time I would say more like 30-35 minutes. I take my time on the first go around, but the second I am sure I would have it to the table in under 30. I had never made vermicelli, so I wasn't sure what it would take. Mine claimed 2 minutes in warm water would work. Warm water means just under boiling apparently because hot tap water didn't do a thing. So, those things I know now and lessons that should be applied on the next go around. And believe you me, there will be a next go around for this one!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment