Thursday, January 5, 2012

Life in Suburbia

I now understand what it really means to "Keep up with the Jones''".  I always understood what the phrase meant, at least as a concept, but never had I felt like I needed to keep up with OR at least be on par with neighbors.  This is mostly because previously they were all nit twit renters who smoked on their balconies or practiced their organ at 7am.  However owning a home seems to flip the switch and suddenly there's so much more to your neighbors than before.  I am going to go out on a limb here and say this is probably because you will live next to one another for many years and you can't help but become aware of their habits and behaviors. 

We definitely take notice of what our neighbors do and it generally does inspire us to make changes or at least not be "that" house.  For instance, our neighbors re-leveled their lawn and put in a new sidewalk to their house.  In comparison our lawn now looks like the neglected mangy mutt on the block.  We thought the lawn was fine when we bought the place, but we have since learned it needs some love and our neighbors, through their lawn care, have shown us that.  Not on purpose, but I would like to think Rob and I are perceptive people and we can tell our lawn is not the star around here.  It's kind of the same way that I felt when I came home one May day and found everyone else's lawns were miraculously mowed and ours was looking forlorn and unattended to.  That night we bought the mower to remedy that problem.

On the flip side we also pay attention to our neighbors behaviors.  Most notable has been who parks where, when they leave for work, how they behave with others, who decorates for the holidays, and when they are gone.  Thanks to being in a town home, most of this is observed through our windows and doors and we pass in and out of our home.  We are especially interested in the behavior regarding the parking habits of one neighbor which seems to offer a lot to talk about.  Probably more than it should except, that's what we do now.  "Did you see where neighbor so and so parked again?  The nerve!"  Or some such phrase comes out.  I could get into why this is so fascinating to us, but I would bore you to tears. 

Tonight we came home to find our recycling bin had "disappeared".  Rob and I are religious recyclers with a full bin out every week.  We have some neighbors that don't bother (how rude!) and others that are on par with us.  Each house was assigned a recycling bin at some point in time.  What people have done with them over time is not my concern.  All I know is we have had one since we got here and we intend to keep it that way.  There was a week sometime over the summer where it was taken, but we were able to snatch it back the next week.  It is my personal feeling if you didn't put one out, you don't get to take one.  If you are missing yours, call the recycling people and get a new one.  Anywho, I went on a rant about who might have theoretically taken ours (again, providing much topic for conversation).  As Rob and I were on our way out for dinner tonight, I saw our recycling bin down on a neighbors lawn.  It wasn't taken into their home and Rob mentioned they didn't set out a bin that morning, just a giant cardboard box.  He went and retrieved it and placed it in our house before we left. Now it will fuel more discussion about these neighbors as they happen to be the same ones with the parking issues.

I think he said it best with, "If you had asked me ten years ago what kind of adventures I expected to having as an adult, 'stealing the recycling bin back from the neighbors' probably would not have made the list."  We have officially been assimilated into life in Suburbia.

1 comment:

Mike D said...

I've found that it is unpredictable where the trash and recycling people throw the bins afterwards. We've "lost" ours as well and eventually found it in a neighbors yard.