Sunday, February 10, 2013

DIY Coasters

I decided to take a stab at making some kind of fun coasters last weekend.  I have had the scrapbook paper on hand for a few months (6 sheets for $1 sale - wohoo!).  I finally picked up some 4x4 tiles at Home Depot after a long hiatus from that store.  Do you ever notice how you can just drop $100 in there without much trouble?  Of course, buying random things you have put off for months probably doesn't help.


ANYWHO!  Here we go.  Materials needed are as follows:

4 - 4x4 tiles
1 - piece of scrapbook paper
Mod Podge

Tools:
Pencil
Scissors
Foam brush for Mod Podge






Trace out your 4x4 tiles onto your paper.
 
 Cut out the paper.
 
I recommend doing a dry run fit test before applying the Mod Podge.  I had to trim down my pieces to get them to fit.  Once you have the size you want, apply a thin layer of Mod Podge with your sponge brush.
 Apply your paper and smooth out all the bubbles.
 Once the paper has had a chance to set, apply another thin coat over the top.
 And there you have it, one of a kind coasters.

Total investment for this project $1.68 ($0.16/tile, $0.17 paper, $0.87 for foam brush).  You could go a step further and put felt circles on the bottom to protect you surfaces, but if you don't care then you are done.   I honestly don't think there's a cheaper DIY project that doesn't look like a 4 year old colored on construction paper.  :)  Enjoy!

No comments: