Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Swing and a Miss




My first softball practice was tonight. First softball practice in what may very well be 10 years. I did little to no preparation for this, including putting off finding a glove until yesterday. Thank you Amanda for the use of yours.

This was an interesting practice. We did the normal ball tossing then fielding and hitting the ball, but there were a good number of people there who weren't going to be playing with us tomorrow night. They were using us to help practice for a March of Dimes game Saturday. To be quite honest, I have no idea who is really on my team. I think I know about 3 other people besides the coach. I guess tomorrow I will see who shows up.

What's good to know is I apparently retained nothing from my days in middle school. I couldn't catch a ball to save my life after the initial warm ups were done. Pop fly to wherever I was and I would miss it by inches. If I sneezed I am sure I would have caught at least half of them. And! Just as a tip in case anyone was wondering, your big toe is no substitute for your glove. I tried it. Twice. Ouch.

I am pretty sure my arm is going to turn to mush at some point. The ringing through my hands and up through my arms tells me I didn't hit the ball right. Sometimes it was good and sometimes it felt as though someone shocked my arm. I am sure I will pick up on how to hit. Investing in a bat and going to a batting cage might help. I am not sure I want to put that much effort in.

In any event, I have 5-6 months of making myself look like a freaken retarded monkey out on the field. At bat... well I can't say that will be any different. Maybe I will get the star for most improved.

No comments: