Friday, June 22, 2007

Can You Hear Me Now?

Cell phones. Some would argue, the best technology that has ever been invented. I call it a necessary evil. I am one of a growing number of people who do not have a land line. I can't see the point in having one because most of my friends are like me in that they have cell phones only and they are in wacky area codes.

So I set out to purchase a cell phone this weekend. My current phone is starting to fall apart, literally. I think I have done pretty well since it looks like I bought my phone back in spring 2004. Three years and it's still working. I haven't had any problems with it and if I could I would buy this exact same phone again. But that's not how it works.

I tried to buy a phone last summer, but I was thwarted by the online buying process and Verizon's stupidity that I just gave up and let it go for another year. I have gone to look at phones a couple of times since then and have no been successful in that either. The sales person will start yapping at me which is where they go wrong. For some reason they do not understand the universal polite way to say leave me alone, "I'm just looking." That should turn them off, but in reality they try harder. I have walked away from two different sales people on two different occasions because they didn't get it and they pissed me off. I don't want to hear about all the things you think are cool. I want to play with the phones in silence and ask questions when I get them. Most sales people are trying to sell every other feature other than the ability to call someone which is the only one I care about.

I was reading reviews on cells phones yesterday with their ratings, pros, cons, etc. I thought it was odd in a funny sad way that a con for a phone now can be - "it takes fuzzy pictures". ??? It's a phone not a camera!!! But there are a number of reviews that are based around how well it takes pictures, movies, plays music, and everything else you wouldn't use a cell phone for. Can I just get a phone that makes phone calls? My features I would like include an alarm, a calculator, and speaker phone but it won't make or break the deal.

Today, I purchased the phone. It was easier than I thought it was going to be, however, the first store we went to was closed. Nice try, I pressed on. I got to my store in the Circuit City and just walked right up and said I want that phone. I am sure the Verizon rep felt this was the easiest sale in history. I picked out the phone charger and he rang it all up, I signed, paid, and got my phone. How neat it is! It makes constellations for me on my "front banner" aka - the outside of the phone screen. I can also choose from a whopping 10 ring tones thanks to the invention of buying ring tones online. Anything to make money. I can also apparently download music and listen to that as well. Why did I even invest in an IPOD? But amazingly enough, it makes and receives phone calls! Who would have thought?

So far, I am 100% impressed with this new fangled technology. The most impressive feature it has is that it also allowed me to capture a movie of Mike P. running around the dinner table and flicking me off the whole way. To purchase this video for whatever purpose you see fit, please contact me. Yes technology is wonderful.

No comments: