Today I volunteered to sort food for needy families this Thanksgiving. I really didn't know what this was going to entail, but I wanted to help all the same. I know there are people out there who could use my help in whatever form I am able to give it. Not only did I bring in a bag full of food myself, I brought my time and my two hands.A group from Lockheed showed up at 11:30 and started in. A lot of the food had been grouped already, but needed to be put into boxes. You loaded the boxes based on what size family they were marked for. 1-2, 3-4, and 5+. The food was sorted out in groups and by tables. You grabbed a shopping cart and got in line. There are three things I have learned from this.
One - The variety of food that people donate that is actually needed. I would have never thought to bring breakfast foods or coffee, but those are needed too.
Two - The amount of families that need help. This year over 1400 families in Cobb County were seeking assistance for their Thanksgiving meal.
Three - People donated a LOT of beans!! When you get them all together and you need to put so many of each in a box it's like trying to play match maker! Beans everywhere! Black beans, kidney bean, baked beans (plus the variety - spiced, dark, original, etc), pinto beans, butter beans, pork and beans, black eyed peas, wax beans, and let's not forget green beans! French cut, kitchen cut, Italian style, no salt added green beans! BEANS EVERYWHERE!!
Overall it was an experience that I would be willing to do again in the following years. It also makes you realize how many people really benefit from these things. Buying extra cans of vegetables, some stuffing and potatoes didn't break my bank and I know it went to someone else that really needed it. It was the best two and a half hours of my day today. Rain and all.
No comments:
Post a Comment