Monday, December 29, 2008

The Smith Family Christmas

The day after Christmas I rented a car and drove to New Haven, CT where I met Rob. From there we traveled onward to his grandmother's house for a few days. All of his grandmother's kids and their children come a stay for a few days after Christmas so I was able to be there for the majority of the celebrations (read homemade delicious food).

Apparently they were awaiting my arrival before beginning the present opening tradition they have there. I was excited that they had waited because I always hear about these silly exchanges that happen and now I got to take part in it.


They start with the serious gifts and then move onto some funny gifts, referred to as the grab bag. Everyone draws numbers for the grab bag exchange and then when your number comes up you pick a gift from the pile, if you don't like it you can exchange it for a gift that you might like better that someone already has opened.

We hung around for a few days and watched some movies, went shopping, and ate a LOT of food. I even got to meet two members of the family I didn't meet last year, Uncle Steve and Danielle. I can say I am happy to be becoming a part of this family. :) However sane or nuts that makes me, I stand by it all the same.

1 comment:

Mike P said...

Looks like a lot of people got bottled water for Christmas. Bummer.