Thursday, March 8, 2007

My Hit List

Now that I live in Atlanta I want to take advantage of some of the things to do that are significantly closer to here than say any place else I have lived. That being said, I have made a hit list and not in any particular order. It's whatever I feel like doing first. :)

New Orleans - I have been told life is still thriving there and they are trying to keep the tourism industry going. I would like to go visit the area for its food and music if nothing else. I won't lie, I think it would also be something if I were to visit the place where the hurricane hit. Not for neat photo ops, but to just stand in the place where so much destruction happened by natural causes and how people are rebuilding. I know it's a one of a kind place and being only 8 hours away makes it seem a little closer to reality.

Savannah - It's about the only other place in this state I am interested in visiting. Obviously there is a lot of history there, but it's also where Paula Dean has her restaurant. :) I have been told by many of my co-workers, that's the place to go for St. Patrick's Day, but I am not entirely sure I get the connect between of one of the most southern cities and Irish anything have to do with each other. It's a 5 hour drive and there is a campsite nearby to forgo the expense of hotels.

Biltmore Estates - Located in North Carolina, this should only be about a 3-4 hour drive and a possibility to do it in one day. It would be a long one, but I think it would be neat to go check it out. I mean why not see what it would be like to live ridiculously rich?

Orlando - This is also about a days drive as well, could be a great place to go for a quick vacation. I would never pass up a chance to go to Disney World because that's just plain crazy talk, but there are plenty of other things going on in Orlando. I even get discount tickets to Universal Studios through work. In any event, it would be a fun trip for the inner child which seems to take over more often than not. :)

Florida Keys - I realize this is not in an ideal driving distance range, however I would hope airfare may be cheaper because we are a little closer. But seriously, I would really like to go because beaches really are my thing and I think I should visit them all. :)

I understand that I may not get to all of them, but I am going to try!

2 comments:

Meredith said...

I've only been near the Biltmore Estate, but the whole Asheville deal, not to mention the North Georgia mountains, is well worth staying in for a day or two...

I am off to Savannah tomorrow--it really is a great city, one of my favorites in the country, and St. Patrick's Day is closer to a small Mardi Gras there than anything else. Strange but true!

Brantley said...

Alas, as a native Floridian, I must tell you that there is really only one beach in the Keys (on Key West) and that it is mostly man-made. They're not really "beachy" islands. Still a cool place to go, though: good food, lots of bars, and Ernest Hemingway's old house, which is overrun by cats with thumbs!