As some of you may know, I was in a bowling league with people from work for the last 8 weeks. It's been fun and the group has been a lot of fun to hang out with. They mostly consist of people right out of college. That being said, it's a good bunch to have fun with. Tonight was the bowl off for the championship. Sad to say my team did not place in the top 3, but snagged 4th place. I have learned a lot from this experience and I thought I would share with you what I now know.
One - Bowl really crappy at least the first two weeks. This is what they refer to as "sandbagging". Sure, people might call you on it, but you can always retort you have an excellent learning curve. Sandbagging will cause your handicap to go up and thus your overall score will be higher once you bowl at your normal average. I bowled my best games the first few weeks, so I was of no help to myself or my team. Lesson learned.
Two - I believe booze help game scores. Again, during the first two weeks I bowled really well and this was while I was drinking a pitcher of beer and bowling better than I should. I gave up beer soon thereafter for Lent and that has only lead to lower scores throughout the season. To prove this point, I have bought amaretto sours the last two weeks and my scores went back up slightly. It is not as effective as beer, but it's what I could have. I believe this is enough of a scientific study to prove my point.
Three - Bowling Etiquette. Some leagues take this more seriously than say... our league full of almost not completely immature guys. Generally you don't go up to bowl when someone in the lane immediately to your left or right is bowling. That's the big one. Well, some teams prefer it if you aren't any where near the wood while they are bowling and may throw a stink about it like a two year old. Just be aware, you may be bowling next to some really anal people.
Overall it was a fun experience and if they do it again in the fall I am totally going to sign up for it. I have had the opportunity to meet a lot of different people, most of whom are petty cool and nice. It's helped a lot getting settled here. And I will be able to drink beer while playing by then. Let the good times roll!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment