Monday, August 20, 2007

My Sister Rocks

I was thinking about what I should write a blog about today and it dawned on me while I was looking at the "shrine" I have made at my desk at work of all the cool stuff my sister has done over the past year. I am not talking about your average Joe Schmoe sheet cake, but fancy stuff.

It was kicked off by her amazing talent with her gingerbread house. It wasn't just any gingerbread house, it was a 40" tall Lighthouse with cottage. Although this picture doesn't show it, she did a cutaway room on the back of the cottage where there was a dining room, fireplace, and oriental rug. She entered the competition and took first place as grand prize winner and as peoples choice award. The picture below with her in it gives you perspective on how big it really is and yes, it really lights up.



Since that win, she has been doing a number of neat looking cakes in her kitchen. The first one that popped out was one that looked like something you could get at the fast food joint, but better! Everything on this display is edible, including the fry boat.



Next came the beer bottle. This particular cake is about 2 feet long. Reminded me of my days at the brewery. I can tell you, the cake tastes nothing like beer. ;)



In between it all, she also does weddings. This is what a typical spread of hers looks like. Don't worry, I have her tagged to do mine when that time comes. It's going to be delicious!



And the latest out of her kitchen this last week was a pirates ship. A 3-D pirates ship. I think it looks pretty awesome myself. I can barely draw one much less make it out of cake.



My sister is a very talented individual. I'd like to think I have picked up a thing or two from her over the years. :) She's a pretty good teacher too.

1 comment:

Brantley said...

So I remember thinking, "what can she possibly do to top the gingerbread lighthouse?" But here it is: pirate ship cake!
Beer, pirates, and cake all together. I call that genius. And tasty!