Last weekend Amanda invited me to attend a yoga class taught by a lady she has it with during the week courtesy of the county. She has been talking about it for a while now and I have kind of wanted to try it but don't know the first thing about it. This instructor teaches a Sunday at 4pm class so it's at a pretty good time when nothing else is going on.
I got there and met the bubbly instructor. She's got a good personality and didn't make me feel like an idgit for not having a clue about what I was doing. I liked that. She also didn't push to get into that "perfect pose". She said, whatever you can get to is perfect for you. Kind of like an A for trying. I am sorry, but I can not make a V with my butt on the ground and torso and legs in the air. For those that think yoga is just about stretching ought to try that pose and hold it for a minute.

At the end of the session I felt pretty good. It's weird, you get an exercise and actually break a sweat, but at the same time it's relaxing. There is soothing music playing the background, she talks in a low, encouraging voice, and it's slow controlled movements. It kind of calms and centers you. If you have never experience yoga, I would say, go for at least one session just to see what it's like.
This neat article explains some of the health benefits to yoga which I have heard mentioned time and time again. This instructor for the Sunday class is a walking example of how yoga can help. She had arthritis and scoliosis and since starting yoga, she has no pain from either and has not been sick, even a head cold. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Can't hurt to give it a whirl and if I feel better physically and mentally after each session, I think it's worth doing.

No comments:
Post a Comment