Last weekend I went on an adventure. I traveled into the mountains of West Virginia with some of my co-workers for a skiing trip. They were kind enough to invite me along on this last minute deal. Let me tell you, it was a blast.I have never been to this place before so that was exciting in and of itself. The roads getting there were pretty interesting. And by interesting, I mean winding as hell. We had to stop more than once for a fresh air break. We don't want to know what kind of stain tossed cookies leaves on the seat.
We got there Friday around noon and were suited up in no time for an afternoon of fun. This resort is set up a little differently than most with the parking lot at the top of the mountain rather than the bottom. Due to this lovely set up, it's extremely windy up there.

I survived the first half of the first day. When everyone else went out for night skiing, I remained behind because I was just too tired. No worries though. I got the place to myself for some personal downtime. Neat.

Saturday we were out and back at it. That's when I noticed my boots had been set to the soft setting the day before. Nice, no wonder my calves hurt. I managed to stay out on the slopes for about 6 hours this time and called it quits a little earlier than most. Dan's friend Jamie and I went to the lodge and had some hot cocoa. Sweet.
Later that night, we thought it would be a good idea to go visit the hot tub. Awesome. We got up to the top of the mountain where it's located and basically ran to it. Once there we got down to our suits and found the guys in the outdoor hot tub. No worries, I have been in one before. So we took off running for it in the 30mph winds and hopped right in. It was a little too late by the time the guys said, "It's not that hot." It felt good for the first few minutes, but then it felt like bath water. Then we felt cold water. Ummmm.... Turns out they were flushing their system. There was standing room only in the sauna and the other hot tub was packed. I high tailed it to the hot showers inside with Ashleigh. That would be the first of our stupidest things we did.
The second comes on the day we are leaving. We decided we want to snap some photos on the mountain. There is a beautiful scenic background to have in the pictures. So we pull off the road to get them. No lie, the wind is whipping around at about 60mph. They actually closed the mountain due to the high winds shortly after they opened. I think Ashleigh's hair speaks for the conditions just perfectly. :P
Overall, the trip was a lot of fun. Sure I would have rather been out west, but this was more affordable and to a place I haven't been yet. The snow was so-so, and the lift lines were pretty ridiculous at times, but I still had a great time. :) It's my ski trip for the year and I am completely happy with it. They are talking about taking a trip to Breckenridge over our ridiculous Christmas break this year. Ooooo... :)
No comments:
Post a Comment