Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Manager In Training

Sometimes, I spend so much time writing on off topics, like chewing out the weatherman, that I forget to include a piece of real news when it comes along. About a month ago I applied for the Operations Leadership Development Program (OLDP - will probably be used a lot so worth remembering) at work. This included submitting a resume, being chosen for 3 hours worth of interviews, an essay and a recommendation from my boss. Well the good news is that I heard back last week and they accepted me!

The program last two years. Over those two years, I will be doing 4 6-month rotations, leadership conferences, training from Drexel, and apparently becoming a tour guide. I have to remain in Marietta for the first year, but after I am free to work in a new location. I am planning on taking advantage of that and either go west or north. Rob and I have pretty much decided our stay in the south will be coming to a close.

I just got the list of open rotation slots available today, so I started my hunt for my first one which will start in July. I found two on there that looked interesting to me so far. One of them would be working for a person I worked with for a few days on a Kaizen Event. He seemed to be able to offer a lot of good advice there and seems like I would work with him well. The other is actually called F-22 Industrial Engineer, which sounds intriguing as I have that degree, but never held that title.

This is going to be a crazy couple of years, but I think it will be worth it when it's over. I am not expecting a manager position when I get out however, the training and experience I am hoping to gain will be invaluable. And so begins a new chapter in my career. Let's hope it's an exciting read. :)

1 comment:

Heidi said...

"I am not expecting a manager position when I get out" Yeah, you are! Wink.