Thursday, August 6, 2009

DMV Happenings

This week I am became an official NY State resident. I went to the DMV and changed over my title, registration (aren't they one in the same?) and my license. Of course any trip to the DMV has it's tale and this is no different.

I filled out my paperwork online and had absolutely every piece of identification humanly possible and anything they could ask for including the bill of sale from my car. I have been to 3 different DMV's and I would like to think I have this routine down. Apparently not.

I arrived with my arsenal of identification and insurance and proof I am a resident in NY. Apparently I did not have the "right proof of insurance" for the sassy lady at the front desk who copped and attitude with me. I stormed away some what deflated and called my insurance company who immediately faxed the proper paper work and I went to stand in the "New License Line".

I stood there got my picture taken, got the faxed insurance paper work and then went to sit until my number was called. That's always fun. It's like winning Bingo when you are called. So I sat for 30 minutes and then I was called up. It took another 30 minutes to get all the paperwork straightened out. It took extra long because some Idiot in GA stole ID equipment from a DMV and so they had to call and verify I had an authentic Georgia license. Fabulous.

The rest of the process wasn't too bad, however at no point in there did they actually ask for my proof of residency. I think the two people I went to thought the other had checked it. Whatever, I had it on me in case they were suspicious. Being a former NY resident had it's plusses. They just looked up some of my old information and was almost on the "in club" then. They didn't bother with half my title paperwork proof of taxes and that mess because my car had already been registered there before.

Anyway, I now have my official piece of paper from NY State that says that they will mail me a real license in 7-10 days. Yipee! Hooray Official Resideny Status!!

No comments: