I thought it would be seasonally appropriate for me to chime in on what is being touted as the "busiest shopping day of the year". I will go ahead and agree that it is probably the busiest day for the shopping centers aside from the final days before Christmas when people again loose their minds and decide they need to buy 300 other things to make the "perfect Christmas".
Many people asked me if I was going shopping on Black Friday to which I replied, "Hell no!" The reactions I got were bipolar in nature. I either got the people that gave me the sympathetic nod of understanding or, "Why not?!" as if I was some kind of alien. Let me tell you why not. First, I hate crowds. I avoid them like the plague. There has to be a really good reason for me to deal with crowds (see this post). Secondly, I would have to get up at 3am or earlier to wait in line in the cold and throw elbows to make sure I wasn't stampeded. And lastly, I would have to deal with the rude people which when coupled with crowds is toxic. I tell people I wouldn't be able to handle it and I would be hauled away and convicted of murder before the day is out.
So why do people get all crazed up and brave the hysteria? I think there are is a small percentage of the population that really targets the stores they want to go to and exactly what they want to buy. A+ for you guys. You take advantage of the sales that apply to the things you really need to get. I believe the rest of the crowd is out there for the "good deals". And this, I have to say, is really stupid. There are only a few really super awesome good deals that the stores have which are generally sold out moments after opening. The rest of the sales from what I could see were good, but not really all that different from sales at any other time of the year. For instance, the Micheal's ad (I realize this isn't Best Buy but bare with me) that came Thanksgiving day was filled with 40% off sales. They are always having 40% off sales. They did have a small selection of items that were on really good deals, but it's nothing I wanted to buy. The Bed Bath & Beyond was just a 20% off your entire purchase. Um, ok really? I have about 20 of those 20% off coupons and if you get the right sales person they will let you do multiple transactions. No deal. Saving $150 off a TV, hmm, tempting, but again, you won't have it in stock by the time I get there and well, my sanity is worth $150 to me. The $1.39 DVDs at Wal-Mart were tempting if you really wanted to own Ice Age 2 or Lord of The Rings (non box set). The other things I really considered was the $70 Cuisinart Food Processor that was on sale from like $150. Clearly I didn't make it.
I shop to the lists that people have given me for what they want for Christmas. I am not getting out of bed at 3am to save on wool socks for my dad. It's just not going to happen. Which brings me to another point on these sales. The sales are on things that no one asked for or on things I don't really need. The sales on clothes I might go for, but it would be for me and not other people, which just seems wrong this time of year so I don't bother. I always tell myself, other people are getting me stuff for Christmas and just to be happy with that (not to mention if I still want something after the holidays the sales after Christmas are even better). They can come out for the super dupper awesome deals, but again, nothing I have asked for is going to be in those ads. Wait, I take that back, they might be able to use the 50% off at Borders (which goes all weekend) to get me a book. Also both of our families (Rob's and mine) are born deal hunters and have never relied on the deals of Black Friday for their Christmas shopping. I don't know if they ever have in the past, but certainly not as of late. My dad has actually really gotten on the whole on-line ordering. He says, "If I can shop from the comfort of my own home and get everything delivered to me, why would I bother standing in line at some store?" You might see where I get my attitude from.
This opinion on Black Friday might change when I have kids and there's some Tickle Me Elmo that will break my kids hearts if they don't get it. As far as I can tell though, that's a good few years down the road. For the first 5 years of their life they don't really care what they get because they don't have school friends to tell them what they are missing. Until then I will enjoy decorating my tree and eating leftovers while watching holiday movies.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment