Here we are just a few days away from the most complex cooking days of the year. Of course it results in the most delicious comfort food, but it's not exactly a simple meal to pull together. I am sure years ago it used to be, but we are the Foodie Generation. We like different and interesting takes on the classics which usually adds a layer of complexity to cooking. A lot of times it means just adding some extras to make the dish "yours". Now remembering to get all those "extras" is a feat in and of itself.
Rob and I are splitting our holiday cooking with friends of ours that are coming over to celebrate. So before grocery shopping this week, Rob and I looked at the portion on the meal that we are responsible for and took an inventory our pantry for select items. We even went so far as to check, ok, got the stuffing*, but what does the stuffing take. I think 9 times out of 10 that's where people get tripped up; remembering every ingredient that goes into a dish. It's not a lot of fun to find out on Thursday or even Wednesday that you actually ran out of vanilla last time you baked and haven't replaced it or you are running low on flour and various other kitchen staples. So we triple checked our list and tried to think of everything. I was determined to have ONE trip to the grocery store. Rob was a hero and went after work to deal with the mob and got everything on the list. Sweet! That night we made enchilada lasagna for dinner which called for onions. I went to our onion bag and came to a very sad realization that we only had three small onions, two of which I would need to make dinner. Dang it all to fudge!
Needless to say, our one trip out wasn't exactly a success, but it wasn't a total failure. I had to run to Target today to get some household staples knowing all weekend was going to be a zoo at any shopping center. Thankfully, Target has decided to start carrying groceries including bags of onions. Wohoo!
*No, I do not "make" stuffing. If you are a super foodie you can go harvest your own fruit bowl and exotic breads and make your own special creation, but my Thanksgiving prefers Stove Top.
The next challenge in Thanksgiving cooking: Appliance Logistics Management
Tuesday, November 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment