Saturday, August 30, 2014

More Book Reviews

I think I might do this on more of a continuous basis now that my summer of Pinterest recreations is over.  I have to have something to blog about right?  Why not offer my opinion on the books I read?  Maybe someone out there can use my two cents on taking a chance on a new book.  

Into the Still Blue (Library - hard copy)
As mentioned previously, I had high hopes for this book and it did not disappoint.  I was very happy with the ending and thought it rounded out the series very well.  I still recommend this and can now confidently say it doesn't have a crappy ending.  So hey, that's got to be worth something. :)

Wool (Omnibus Saga 1-5) by Hugh Howley (Amazon Prime - Lending Library)
This was recommended to me by another friend who is a Amazon Prime member and had picked it for her monthly lending.  This is another kind of dystopian futuristic kind of book.  I guess I am on a kick for those lately.  This book is about living life in a silo which is underground by about 134 floors.  They talk about taking days to journey from the "down deep" to the "up top" and I thought that was weird.  I mean it's only 134 floors, how can it take days?  So we did some research on how many floors were in really tall buildings.  So the Sears Tower is 104 floors, so that sort of put it into perspective.  In any case, it's a completely fascinating story.  Who knew how much drama could be in one silo?  They talk about being sent to cleaning and the IT department with their severs and the sheriff and mayor.  All kinds of good stories.  Apparently it was written as mini books (1-5), but later it was put together into an Omnibus series.  I would recommend reading them all together under that heading.  All together they are about the equivalent of one book.  He does have plans to write more Silo books which I will be on the lookout for.  :)


No comments: