Sunday, July 15, 2007

Work Annoyances

Remember that lady in Office Space that answered the phones with her high pitch icky voice? That's the kind of annoyances I am talking about. On more than one occasion I have found myself inside the set of Office Space at work and I will probably continue to do so while I work in a cube farm office. Because we are all so comfy cozy close together without a way to block each other out, there are bound to be things that gradually grate on your nerves that another office mate is doing. That being said, I am going to share some highlights from my office.



One - The guy who clips his nails at his desk. For some reason or another this bothers me enough to make me get up and go take a walk. That's a personal hygiene issue best left to the walls of your home.

Two - People who almost clear their throat. They try to do an "ahem", but it didn't work so they will repeat the process of almost clearing their throat for about 30 minutes. You would think just clearing the throat would be less irritating for all parties involved.

Three - The guy who does laps at lunch around the floor. There is a guy in my office who likes to speed walk at lunch wearing just his under shirt. Thankfully I do not have to see this all the time as my desk doesn't face the opening, but for my two cube mates who get this show everyday they are trying to figure out a way to tell a 50 year old man, that ain't cool.

Four - The 200 emails you get from the person one cube over because they can't consolidate thoughts before hitting the send button. I think the record for me was 6 emails in about 45 minutes from one person when it could have been just 1. Like I want to process through all that junk.

Five - The loud talker who doesn't seem to work. We have a guy in our IPT that will wander from cube to cube to cube talking about the latest thing with money. The new gym reimbursement plan, changes to taking comp time vs overtime and which is better, how much is paying for new windows, you name it. By the time he has hit your cube, you have already heard the story 3 times and don't wish to encourage him any more, but he will talk even if you ignore him.

Of course there are more, but I thought sticking to the top five is plenty. Let's just hope I am not contributing to the issues at hand. ;)

No comments: