Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Paper or Plastic?

How about neither? There is a new option that is spreading across the nation. How about bags we can use again and again and again? We shall call them reusable bags! Brilliant!

I think most grocery chains are now sporting their own brand of bags. I picked some up from my not so local store to sport around here. They were cheaper, black (instead of oh, say bright green), and say Wegmans on them. Sweet deal.

I think the use of these bags is a great idea. I will admit I don't remember them every time but I am getting better about that. I used to reuse plastic grocery bags for kitty box duty, so I thought I was being at least half way decent about the waste (ha), but about 50% of the time, they would have holes in them making them essentially useless for litter. I have since found an alternative of 4 gallon cheap bags that come hole free 100% of the time. Yeah it's still using bags, but now I don't have to toss them out empty (recycle bin).

The only trick to using these is making sure your check out people are aware you have them and that if they can't fit everything in them, they can go to the plastic bags (or whatever your back up plan is). This for some reason trips them up every time. I bring 3 with me each time I go and for one reason or another the baggers have all had brain farts. They either pile everything into one bag or forget they are supposed to be using them or whatever. I am using stores that sell them themselves so it's not like it's a new concept. I am sure as more people use them it will get better, but for now it's a work in progress.

I have to say I do like them more though. The bags are easier to carry, they hold more, and they are friendly for the environment. The idea of reusing bags makes sense and I hope it catches on a little more. I know IKEA now charges you if you use their bags. I can see grocery stores eventually doing that too. I try to pass on bags most places I go now if I just buy one or two things. I think small changes will lead to bigger changes in the end. Go Green!!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Nerd Alert!

Andrea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrea said...

We just got some too from Kroger and have experienced the same type of retardedness from the baggers at our grocery stores. There's actually a grocery store around here that charges for bags, but only 5 cents (hardly enough to make people want to change)...the store is called "Bottom Dollar" which is a step down from Food Lion - if you can imagine that (same owners).

Sarah said...

A step down from Shitty Kitty? Wow... That is hard to imagine.