I just finished reading The Cat Who Could Read Backwards by Lilian Jackson Braun. This was part of my, "let's pull a random book from the library that sounds interesting to read" phase. I have seen the The Cat Who Could... books before and always thought, that may be neat to read, but never picked it up. Part of the reason I love libraries. Totally risk free. You hate it, bring it back and get something else. All it cost was a trip there.
This particular book is the first one in the series. I always try to read the first in a series if I can. In some series, it doesn't matter what order you read them in, but I figure the first sets up general character traits and prior books are always being referenced back to even in subtle ways. I get annoyed when I miss inside jokes.
If you like murder mysteries I would say give it a shot. It's a little odd, but maybe that's why I liked it so much. At least I got out of my comfort zone with books and read something off the beaten path. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Huzzah for the library! I am a library fan from wayback---have you tried ordering library cd's online? They deliver them to your preferred branch, and it's sort of like shopping without any monetary outlay. Plus, odds are good that two weeks with a cd is enough time to know if you really want to buy.
And good call on the first-in-the-series. I started in the middle of Horatio Hornblower and now I don't really want to go back to the beginning (his lot in life improves in each volume, and I feel it would be sad to demote him so dramatically)
:)
So...what else could that cat do? Hmmmm?????
Post a Comment