For someone who moves as much as I do, I sure have a lot of junk. I have stuff too, but I have a lot of junk. Stuff I can classify as clothes, dishes, furniture, you know, the useful things we normally keep. Junk I can classify as boxes of unknown and barely used items that I cart from place to place because I think they are going to be important some day.For example, I finally, FINALLY, got around to cleaning out my college notes box. Yes, it's been 5 years since I graduated and no, I have no idea why I still had them. I originally kept them because well, after 5 years of hard work, you want to believe you will use them again. Never once have I gone to look up formulas for calculus. I am now sitting next to a paper box full of old notes that are heading to the recycling center next week and I am feeling pretty good about it. It also freed up a bunch of binders that I need to use for organizing other things like my cookbooks that come pre-hole punched.
Along those same lines, I also cleaned out my filing cabinet. With most things being electronic (and my option for paperless bills) I find it silly to keep paper copies for most of this stuff. I have cleaned out about another 10 pounds of paper there that will go through my shredder. That thing is going to get a work out.
This is just the beginning. Rob and I really need to clean out this place before we can realistically move. Granted other people will hopefully come and box this stuff (and some junk) up, but it's not going to fit in a smaller place comfortably. We have figured where we are at right now is probably the largest place we could rent anywhere. We love the room, but we filled it right up with all of our belongings.
After merging our two households together, we now have to figure out which to keep of what. We have done a decent job so far in that we have things mostly settled now (aside from a pile of stuff we want to sell). I went through the hall closet and cleaned out blankets, towels, and sheets that we can get rid of. I figure start with the small places and just try and work them one at a time.
We will probably end up donating a fair amount of things such as old clothes, and things we aren't able to sell. However, I have a feeling that Craigslist is going to be seeing a lot of action in April once Rob finishes his classes. I know there's at least one kind of dopey filing cabinet that will be making it's way there. :)
3 comments:
Was spring cleaning just an excuse to throw out all of Rob's stuff?
You know it! I don't think he even knows! Sneaky sneak!!
She threw out my JAMS and my SKIDZ!! What if I wanted to wear those again someday?
Post a Comment