Thursday, July 31, 2014

Garden Goodies

This is our second year with our container garden and I have to say, we are quite pleased with it.  Last year was really what I call our learning year.  We grew a variety of things from radishes to peppers.  Our biggest failure last year was tomatoes which I tried to grow from seed.  Everyone told me that was hard and I said, "Oh but I want to try anyway!"  And so I did and I was rewarded with no tomatoes.  The biggest success last year was jalapeno peppers.  I used those to make pepper jelly which was pretty tasty!

So this year we are growing:
Bell peppers



Jalapeno peppers

Tomatoes

Green Beans
Romaine Lettuce
Butter Crunch Lettuce
Summer Squash
Cucumbers

Green Onions
Radishes
Basil
Parsley
Spinach
Garlic

So far we have had a good harvest from the green bean, cucumber, and tomato plants and our lettuces with the exception of the spinach.  The peppers are finally starting to take shape and who only knows what's going on with the summer squash.  It's big and flowering, but no fruit yet.  Things I will not be growing again - Spinach, radishes, and Green onions.  Next year I would like to try to grow broccoli.  I am hoping to get a bigger garlic harvest next year, but we will see.

Today I harvested some of the basil today to hang it up and dry for future use in the winter months.  I am hoping the basil plant continues to grow.  I have been told cutting it back promotes growth, so we will see. Later this week I am going to make homemade bruschetta with our tomatoes and basil and then I am going to make baugettes and mozzarella cheese.  I can't wait and I don't even really like bruschetta!  I'll be sure to share some pictures.

No comments: