I am using another pin from my Cleaning Tips board:
http://craptastical.com/oven-needed-cleaning/
I have abused my oven quite a bit. Sometimes things will bubble over and I'll think, man I should clean that up. What really happens is I forget about it because you have to wait until an oven is cool before you can go playing in it. And by then, I have moved on to some other sparkly thing in the house or a screaming toddler or have gone to bed. Possibly all three. I get a nice reminder the next time I turn on my oven and there's a pretty obnoxious smell/smoke coming from the oven. "Oh yeah.... I was supposed to do something about that." The process repeats until I have effectively burned off whatever I boiled over. So sad for the oven.
BUT! Today is the day the oven gets a face lift! I am sure it's as excited as I am. I mean, how excited can one get for a clean oven? I am not even really sure. Anywho, here's the very fancy recipe:
3-4 drops of Dawn
4 Tbsp. Baking Soda
5 Tbsp. Distilled Vinegar **do not use this much, start with 1 tablespoon and add until you get a good paste.
Juice of 1 lemon = 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
As the website I am using said: Go slow when added the vinegar. Otherwise you are going to get a mini volcano on your kitchen counter. Smear the goop all over your oven however you see fit. Let it set for a few hours and then come back and wipe it down/clean it out with a dish towel.
Before picture:
I told you it was gross.
After pictures:
Notes:
1. I think the mixture is wrong. Mine was much more liquid than paste, so I would dial back the vinegar a bit. I ended up sprinkling some more baking soda directly into the oven to get the scour power. They may have meant 5 teaspoons and not 5 tablespoons. The picture also showed way more dawn than 3-4 drops. I think if you can find the mixture balance to get it to a paste, then you are much better off.
2. There is NO way this is just a "wipe" down and bingo-bango, it's miraculously clean. This still took a fair amount of arm muscle and a sponge with the scrub side to clean the sides of the oven and get the junk off. And even then, some places did not come clean.
Overall, my oven is cleaner, although not the pristine clean I was looking for. The oven door is still gross (in my opinion, although less gross than it was). I think the lesson here is: Cleaning ovens suck no matter how you do it. This just happens to be the non-toxic version which can be cheaper and better for the environment. So, take that for what you will. I have a clean oven and that's really an accomplishment in and of itself.
No comments:
Post a Comment