As part of our New Year's Resolution we have adopted the Meatless Monday here in our house. We have been mostly successful at acknowledging it on Monday, but other days are ok too. At least in my book. The idea is to focus on not needing to eat meat at every meal. They are usually healthier meals and they cost less too. Pinterest has been really good to find meal ideas for this. Generally I think of pasta, but they have plenty of beans, vegetable, tofu, and grain options. It's been fun trying new foods. Some were better than others, but at least we are trying.
Tonight's meal comes from my Meatless Monday board (duh):
http://www.howsweeteats.com/2012/06/grilled-corn-cheddar-quinoa/
Quinoa has become a staple grain in our house and a nice alternative to just plain rice. According to what the internet tells me, it's also healthier for us. Bonus. Like most recipes I was drawn to this one for the ingredients list - I liked them all, and the ease factor of the recipe. I will say I already pre-grilled the corn and it's been hanging out in the refrigerator waiting. The meal itself came together really easy (when you have the corn all ready and waiting).
The taste factor/family taste bud test was a hit for both my husband and myself. My toddler had other opinions, but it could just be the day of the week since he usually loves this kind of stuff. It's a little weird having this as the main dish because it feels like it could easily be a side to salmon, chicken, or pork. It was still pretty substantial to stand on it's own though, so either way, it was good and we will do it again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment