Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Birthday Week



That's right, an entire week for the birthday celebration. I started my partying last Friday and it will probably carry over until Monday. It's not exactly a week, but I am willing to bend the rules as I am the birthday girl.

My sister first came up with this concept. You should probably know that our birthdays are right next to each other. Hers is today and mine is tomorrow. My good friend Sean's is the day after mine as well. Since we already had two days for celebrating, what's a few more? Then you are sure to get at least one weekend (two if you are me and greedy) no matter where your birthday falls. Also, we happen to have birthdays right around or sometimes on Labor Day. This can cause logistical problems with people being out of town and places being closed or what have you. So the birthday week was invented.

Having a birthday in early September can have its drawbacks, but also some pluses. My very first day of school was my birthday. In college, my 21st birthday was the first day of classes. The downside was growing up, people were getting ready to go back to school or had to do the last family vacation, so I was sort of stuck for parties, but its gotten better.

This year I will be heading home shortly after my birthday and my sister and I are planning to goof off all of Friday and I can't express how happy that makes me. First I get to spend time with her, second, we are going to the spa, and third, we are going to sit back and drink wine while my brother in law makes us dinner. If that's not a perfect day, I don't know what is. :)

I plan to embrace all of my birthdays and to try not to get too depressed about what age I happen to be turning, whether it's 26 or 46. It's not like you can stop time and linger at a particular age anyway. Why not embrace it and have fun? I am being optimistic about this whole idea and my 50 year old self might want to punch my 25 year old self, but that's ok.

It's my birthday and I am going to do what I want. Right after I go to work and some meetings,but then totally, whatever I want to do. And whatever Rob has planned. :)

No comments: