Wednesday, November 7, 2007

To Heat or Not to Heat?

It's November 7th. To most people this means that fall is in full swing, the holiday shopping has begun, for some it's finished (sickos), and that colder weather has come to stay. Being in the south delays the coming of cooler weather for quite some time, however we have finally started to get into the temperatures where you can see your breath in the morning.

This week has really been the start of it though and now I find myself wondering, when is it cold enough for heat? This morning when I got up, my apartment read a nice cool 62 degrees downstairs. I had to put on a pair of sweats last night under my covers to be comfortable and getting out of bed this morning was a bit of a challenge. When I got in my car, the thermostat told me it was 37 degrees. A stupid grin appeared on my face.

I absolutely love it when it gets cold here. The people at work are very entertaining to watch coming in and leaving. You would swear a blizzard was happening with their ski coats and hats. I have a fleece on. The only disappointing part is that even though it gets this cold, it won't snow. In the back of my head, I keep saying, any day now. I know that is further from reality than ever with our all time low precipitation these past few months. Stupid weather.

ANYWHO! The real debate is, how much longer can I hold out before turn the switch to heat? Tonight and tomorrow we are dipping in the 30s again but in a few days we climb back to highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s. I think it would be fun to hold out til Thanksgiving. Maybe I should have a lotto for it. Whoever wins has to pay my first bill. I mean.... have some cookies. :)

4 comments:

Rob said...

Curiously enough cookies were actually my solution when faced with a similar problem. See the temperatures in my area are behaving almost exactly the same as you describe. So last night I baked a batch of cookies. That way I ended up with both heat AND deliciousness!

Mike P said...

Believe it or not there is an advanced technology that can help you out in this situation. My apartment comes with a "thermostat." You can set this "thermostat" to the lowest temperature that you would like your apartment to be. Here is the amazing part. The "thermostat" can automatically turn the heat on when the temperature falls below the minimum level you set. The future is here today!

Meredith said...

Sarah: I had the same argument with myself, and I lost today. The (indoor) thermostat registered in the 50's all day, and I finally sucked it up. Now, my programmable thermostat (self-installed!) is set to be in the mid-50's while I sleep and while I work, and 61 in the mornings and evenings. Even at these miserly, Dickensian levels, I agree: it feels awfully decadent to turn on the heat. Good luck in your struggle.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.