Monday, January 14, 2008

Hey You Guys!

Just as Sloth refers to his gang as "you guys", so too, do I also refer to my co-workers living in this state as such. The rate at which I refer to them as such is a little alarming, however completely automatic. I don't even think about it before the words leave my mouth.

I believe if I were to psycho analyze myself, I would find that it's a sub conscience response to NOT wanting to be associated with the extreme stereotypes found here. That may sound unfair, but it's true. If I think of myself as a visitor, I don't count. I do not whimper at the sight of snow, I am not a bible thumper, and I do not enjoy fried.... everything.

It also doesn't dawn on me that people can be upset by that phrase until they remark upon it as in, "you guys???". The question tends to be phrased in such a way that it makes it sound like, "What team are you playing for anyway?" I know I live here now, but I also know that's not how it's going to be forever. For the people who are happy to call this home, awesome for you. I just haven't found a place I want to call home yet. So yeah, for the time being, I play on this team, but I feel the need to remind everyone, I am up for trades.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Well, then go home yankee bitch. Just kidding! Honestly, I haven't really noticed the "you guys" thing. At least you're a yankee. I've been told that being from the west coast...I'm a nothing.