Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Locker Rooms

Since I have just joined a gym, it's no surprise that I am now using a locker room there. When I toured the gym, I thought they were some of the nicest looking locker rooms I had seen. Nice carpeting in there, plenty of lights, mirrors, sinks, get ready areas, and big wooden lockers. The only drawback is how crowded they get at this particular gym from 5-7pm.

My first class I took at this time was an aqua fit class. So that means wearing a bathing suit. I am a little too modest to strip to nothing in front of 30 people I have never met before. I found a shower stall, had plenty of room, was more comfortable, and didn't hinder other peoples abilities to change.

Normally, if it were just changing to gym clothes, that would be completely different. You basically get down to what you wear to the beach and then add more clothes. And I am perfectly fine with that. Not to mention, it is a lot faster than wriggling into the suit.

Coming back into the room after class, I was greeted by a completely naked person hunting for their swim suit just out in the middle of the room. It's not as if I haven't seen naked people before, it's just, I wish they weren't so "Here I am!" about it. They are changing as if no one else is even there. I just think there should be some courtesy exercised when making these choices.

While I was changing out of the swim suit in the locker room, I was apparently blocking a locker to two people. I was willing to wait and let them get what they needed, but no they insisted I finish up. Great... Now I have an audience. Nothing like that to make you feel completely at ease.

I don't know if this is my own weird take on this, but oh well. There you have it, more sharing for you. :)

1 comment:

Meredith said...

Oh, I hear you. I go to the same gym as many of the members of my congregation. And there's just something powerful about my fear of turning around and realizing that the chairwoman of the church council just watched the swimsuit wiggle... I've managed a clever towel maneuver that ends up only exposing my upper back to the masses. I can live with that. :) Best of luck!