Thursday, January 24, 2008

I'd Like to Check You For Ticks

I heard a joke once that went something like this, do you know what you get when you play a country song backwards? You get your dog back, your wife back, your car back, and you job back. This joke was told at the "Power of Positive Attitude" seminar I attended. The point the person was trying to make was how sad and depressing country music can be.

A few days ago Rob and I were eating an impromptu dinner, as it were, at the local Subway. While I was in there I noticed they had the radio on the local country station. The first song that I heard was "Honky Tonk Padankadank". I have heard this song before and consider it to be funny enough for a one time listen. That's besides the point. I kind of tuned out the radio for a few minutes, but then I heard, "I'd like to check you for ticks". Um excuse me? Apparently this is a well known song by Brad Paisley, whomever that is. I started to listen and it was kind of cheeky with its meaning.

I understand that country songs can be funny, however the vast majority of them fall under the slow, mopey, kind of make you want to cry genre. There are very few occasions that call for such music, so I glad I am not subjected to it that much. I know how much some people love it, you won't be apt to change my mind. It's just one of them things.

No comments: